Saturday, February 20, 2010

Be Mine, Valentine

That infamous Hallmark holiday has come and gone once again. I must say that our 30th Valentine celebration was much different than what I had envisioned. I innocently imagined dinner and a movie... a big juicy steak... and possibly even a new Coach bag.

Instead, we spent the entire day in bed... and not in a romantic display of affection.

Rather pitifully, we declared our love on this day in hoarse voices as we wheezed and coughed and battled phlegm. We sneezed and blew our noses and consumed more liquid that what should be humanly possible. My valentine and I stared at each other longingly over steaming bowls of chicken noodle soup. We watched endless hours of t.v. - everything from Overhaulin' to Clean Sweep, to Diner, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Buried deep under blankets and pillows and layers of loose clothing, we curled into fetal positions and endured our aches and pains together.

My lingerie of choice was well-worn pajama pants and an old Fruit Of The Loom t-shirt. I wore not an ounce of makeup that normally transforms me into a presentable state. My hair was secured in a messy, knotted ponytail... the result of a day spent bouncing between chills and bouts of sweating.

How is it that my husband could still look so handsome with bed head and a five o'clock shadow? Comfy boxers and an old t-shirt were carefully paired with sport socks and his trusty Adidas flip flops. Pale and wearing dark under-eye circles, my true love was still endearing to me. (I can only hope he looks back and thinks the same of me.)

There was no dark theater this Valentine's Day - no buttery tub of popcorn. No decadent treats, sexy bubble baths, or sensuous massages. I could no more tempt my husband with physical rewards than I could go out in the garage and lift our truck above my head!

Instead, we settled for a day at home. A memorable blend of mumbled "I love you's", rattling chests, and mugs of hot chocolate. Hooray for true love - that conquers all... even viral bronchitis... in double doses!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...you're back. I've missed your blog! And I love this. You write beautifully and always have. Happy Valentines Day to you both! You have an amazing life together.

    ReplyDelete